When has there been a romantic novel, movie or show that didn’t feature kissing? And what kind of love relationship is it without this captivating moment?
Yes, this is the act that results in frowns from boys, screams from (very) young girls and passion from couples, young and old.
Not surprisingly, humans are quite attached to this action. Kissing is regarded as a culture, and is divided into kisses of love, affection, peace, respect and friendship. Quick Googling will tell you how crazy we are about this:
1) There were 174 results for the word ‘kiss.’
2) There are millions of articles and thousands of sites (yes, entire sites!) dedicated to this art.
3) DVDs and books teaching people how to kiss have become increasingly popular. Eek.
Why is kissing so romantic we can’t let go of it?
Some quirky ‘health’ reasons:
1) It helps prevent tooth decay
2) It aids weight loss: You need to use 3,000 calories to lose one pound. Claire Potter, fitness consultant for Cosmo magazine, says that “a long kiss makes the metabolism burn up sugar faster than usual. The calories burned depend on the intensity, but you can rely on 10 calories for every 10 minutes.” That means that you can lose one pound by kissing for five hours.
3) It slows the aging process: Helps to tone your cheek and jaw muscles, so they’re less likely to sag.
4) It boosts your self-esteem: “In theory, when you’re kissing, you’re happy. And when you’re happy, you feel good about yourself,” says psychotherapist Paul Zeal.
5)It increases fitness: “Your heart is pumping, your pulse is racing… If kissing is exciting, you release adrenaline into the bloodstream and your heart pumps more blood around your body,” says Dr. Susan Hotchkies. “It’s a great cardiovascular workout.”
And of course, on finding ‘The One’:
Kissing someone releases pheromones, the chemical messengers that signal sexual attraction. “The first kiss is always a good way to work out if there’s any chemistry between you,” says Paul Brown, sexual and marital therapist. “In humans, it’s thought that smells play a vital part in subconscious attraction, and if your pheromones aren’t ‘in tune’, you’re unlikely to hit it off.”
Wow. Kissing really is amazing.